Lead role in supporting all electrical aspects of equipment packages designed and fabricated by the company (pre and post order). General job responsibilities include providing direction and ensuring all electrical scope of supply is properly specified, designed, procured, and packaged in accordance with applicable customer requirements and company standards. Provide engineering support for installation and testing of systems, application of sound engineering practices and detailed test methods for equipment packages. The Senior Electrical Engineer works closely with project execution and production teams in defining, scheduling, and coordinating all aspects of electrical systems as may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with project managers, project engineers and design team in developing the design of electrical systems.
- Assist marketing staff with quotations as needed.
- Analysis of customer supplied information including drawings, specifications (mechanical, electrical, painting, welding, non- destructive testing, etc. ).
- Evaluation and incorporation of customer electrical and instrumentation specifications into the project design.
- Creation of wiring diagrams, junction box layout drawings, conduit/cable routing drawings and electrical BOM’s for submission to customers and internal manufacturing.
- Provide technical information and support for design & drafting to generate drawings.
- Creation of inquiries to sub-suppliers for the purpose of component selection and or costing.
- Work with project team to track project cost estimates and all necessary technical data from start to completion of project.
- Order placement, expediting and shipping coordination of all required electrical components.
- Electrical supply chain management and negotiation of contract pricing.
- Review controls narrative and assist controls checks/testing for equipment packages with control panels/systems.
- Generate work instructions for installation of electrical scope of supply.
- Analysis and implementation of industry standard test procedures and customer supplied information including drawings, specifications as related to contract-specific testing requirements.
- Review supplier documentation to be certain components are properly installed and prepared
- Create and maintain work instructions for repeatable test set-ups.
- Propose safety and testing improvements. Work safely by following both OSHA and company safety rules and regulations.
- Analysis of QPP (test procedures) and QPR (test records).
- Provide technical support during project execution, testing, startup, commissioning, and field
- Coordination with certifying bodies such as UL, CSA, ATEX, as required by contract
Customer Centric Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional customer facing communication skills and ability to communicate clearly and professionally with clients, suppliers, and internal team on a regular basis, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience with large scale, complex & innovative projects with ability to review & apply project specifications.
- (packaged equipment manufacturing with long lead time / life cycle).
- Schedule oriented with proficient multi-tasking skills to and successfully manage and execute multiple projects in different stages of completion at once.
- Excellent judgment with ability to make decisions effectively. Solution oriented with the capacity to resolve escalated issues.
- Ability to comprehend customer requirements and make appropriate recommendations/briefings. Ability to troubleshoot, test and diagnose errors and/or technical problems and determine proper and cost-effective solutions.
- Ability to operate with minimal direct supervision.
- In-depth knowledge of NEC (National Electric Code) and other international electrical codes such as IEC and CSA.
- In-depth knowledge of instrumentation and controls.
- Ability to create and/or review controls narratives.
- General knowledge of commercial terms.
- General knowledge of rotating equipment such as pumps, gears, compressors, motors, steam turbines, turbo-expanders, and generators.
- General knowledge of API standards (including but not limited to API-614, API-610, API-611, API-617, API-618, API-619, API-672, API-676, API-11P) is desired, however not required.
- Mechanical knowledge of custom OEM rotating equipment including their design and use is desired, however not required.
Credentials and Experience:
- BS in Engineering or related field
- 10 years related experience
- Willing to work overtime to meet deadlines. Occasional domestic and international travel for technical meetings at client’s facilities.