AP Professionals has partnered with a privately held, $500m+ international company, with a significant operational presence in Rochester, NY. The US Controller is primarily responsible for maintaining the integrity of the accounting records of the legal entities in accordance with local GAAP and IFRS. The job holder supports the monthly and quarterly accounting closing process, ensures compliance with statutory requirements and works with local management to ensure that business processes and controls are established and followed.
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, this position will have regular interactions with the Corporate Controller, CFO, US Finance team and the Global Shared Services Center (GSSC). Anticipated travel is minimal, this is currently a remote work opportunity.
The Primary Qualifications Include: Public Accounting Background, Active CPA License, Experience with ERP Systems (Microsoft Dynamics a Plus) and Excel (Data Mining Experience a plus). IFRS Experience Desired but Not Required.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, this is a bonus eligible position.
- Responsible for maintaining complete and accurate financial records for the trading of the legal entities in accordance with local GAAP and IFRS
- Lead the accurate and timely month end close processes for the US legal entity, including the timely resolution of issues
- Review the month end close results for the Canadian legal entity
- Work closely with Country Business Leaders, to ensure timely, accurate and complete monthly reporting
- Work closely with the GSSC to ensure standardized monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations are prepared and reviewed in accordance with policy
- Support the Director of Accounting in reviews of individual country results for the Americas region – including quarterly ‘deep dives’
- Support the preparation of the annual reporting process, managing the delivery of accurate, insightful information to an agreed timetable - prepared in accordance with relevant IFRS and local accounting standards
- Review of sales contracts and terms and conditions to ensure that revenue recognition criteria are met and reviewing purchase contracts/discussion with Country Business Leaders
- Primary point of contact for internal and external audits, driving simplification and continuous improvement of financial processes
- Support the adoption of new or revised IFRS accounting standards
- Work closely with Business Unit Finance on existing/new initiatives, advising on implications from a local GAAP and IFRS point of view, and providing ad hoc analysis and/or request for support as required
- Responsible for the control environment of the legal entity, work with the Business Assurance team to remediate control deficiencies identified and provide training as necessary
- Represent Finance in supporting the planning, implementation and testing of global system, operational or process changes (e.g. ERP implementation)
- Professional accounting qualification (CPA or equivalent)
- Minimum of 10 years’ professional experience working in a Finance & Controlling role in an international environment with strong commercial acumen
- Strong technical accounting background, including in depth knowledge of IFRS
- Strong working knowledge of ERP systems and associated ledger systems (Microsoft Dynamics AX would be preferred)
- Expert in excel, proficient in pivot tables & look ups
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- In depth working knowledge of IFRS with the ability to interpret and implement new or revised accounting standards
- Results oriented, proactive and focused - accepting of change and a champion of it in the work environment
- Experienced & effective business partner with the ability to form strong relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Persuasive and able to convince others by delivering and maintaining a reasoned and logical argument, stating and holding their position in the face of opposition, with the ability to adapt style of debate depending on the audience
- Flexibility and adaptability of approach depending on the audience and or situation
- Strong oral, written and formal presentation skills including ability to present complex information in a clear, professional and open manner
- Developed problem solving and analytical skills, combining good technical knowledge with good balance and judgement relating to accounting and financial issues
- Proven skills in financial controls and policy development and in driving process simplification
- Ability to work with outsourced and/or cross-functional teams to provide direction and successfully drive results challenging and driving accountability
- Strong, proven people manager with a strong leadership and coaching style who is visible and approachable to the team at all levels. Can build trust, engagement and drive change positively