AP Professionals is recruiting for a Tax Manager for a local independent financial, tax, and investment planning firm, providing highly personalized, comprehensive wealth management services to affluent individuals. We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented tax professional seeking an opportunity in a growing practice. This is a position working directly with firm’s advisors and clients, and managing the firm’s tax planning and compliance practice. The firm provides a competitive compensation and benefits package, including 401k plan, health, life and disability insurance and paid vacation.
- Produce and deliver accurate and timely work product to partners
- Preparation/review of federal and state tax returns for individuals and partnerships
- Tax planning and projections: Review and analyze all sources of income/deductions, including investment income and capital gains and losses, and project total for year; estimate tax, figure timing of payments, review and update quarterly estimated tax payments; consider tax-saving strategies, run “what-if” scenarios
- Cash flow analyses and retirement projections
- Review and analyses of issues relating to benefits and compensation, multi-state taxation, sophisticated investments, etc.
- Preparation of tax-related analyses/materials for client meetings
- Research federal and state income tax issues
- Manage staff
- Proactively address the client list; assign staff to clients for continuity and maintain continuity
- Utilize and train staff in tax research
- Control the workflow
- Manage budgets and assign work to produce efficient use of budgets, staff, etc.
- Manage Practice
- Implement, revise, and follow appropriate procedures for all tax services, from start to end
- Initiate and prepare Newsletters and client communications (Alerts)
- Status lists – keep up to date and communicate with partners
- Work within budgets for client tax work and communicate about cost/complexity with partners to help set these budgets; develop quotes for cost of tax work
- Keep partners informed as to status of projects (returns, estimated taxes and projections)
- Communicate with clients and partners to get information and resolve issues
- Educate team members – advisors, as well as tax staff – regarding tax law changes, new planning ideas, etc.; circulate technical developments applicable to our practice to keep us up to date and informed
- Bachelor’s degree required – MBA or JD a plus
- 5+ years of experience preparing individual income tax returns
- CPA Certification required
- CFP Certification or desire to provide personal financial planning a plus
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Proficient with CCH Prosystems Fx tax preparation software; must have above-average Microsoft Excel skills; familiarity with BNA Tax Planner is a definite plus
- Good communication skills required – ability to communicate with clients, partners and staff regarding status of work, issues, etc.
- Strong managerial, organizational, and analytical skills, with attention to detail
- Team oriented