The senior accountant is responsible for ensuring accuracy of the general accounting function and maintaining a strong, compliant internal controls environment. This includes, but is not limited to, driving the month-end close process, ensuring the completeness and accuracy of required monthly close entries and completion of monthly reconciliations in accordance with policy. In addition, the senior accountant may be tasked with cross-training new and existing team members in company policies and processes to ensure that a highly compliant accounting environment is maintained.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements and variance analysis.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Responsible for performing monthly closing and reporting activities in a timely manner, including recording journal entries in areas such as revenue, receivables, fixed assets, treasury, payables and accruals, as well as preparation of the monthly sales reconciliation.
- Responsible for maintaining the monthly balance sheet account reconciliations, including timely and accurate preparation for Assistant Controller review in accordance with local and Corporate finance policy.
- Responsible for reviewing and proposing required adjustments to the Accounting Manager of key judgmental reserves and accruals, such as inventory, bad debt and warranty reserves.
- Ensures accounting conforms to GAAP and meets SOX requirements
- Responsible for supporting the Controller at month-end by investigating, analyzing and reporting on key account variances.
- Responds to inquiries from the Assistant Controller, and other finance and firm-wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Responsible for leading special accounting projects on occasion. Examples include both internal and external audit requirements, SOX testing and internal compliance self-testing.
- Maintain a high degree of professional skepticism and understanding of when to escalate and engage other team members to ensure thorough knowledge of the transaction is obtained.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting is the minimum educational requirement.
- CPA / MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience working in accounting or general ledger role(s)
- Experience in manufacturing environment a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- High proficiency in Excel a must.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment where priorities may change is required.
- Ability to recognize and question figures that appear incorrect.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong independent contributor, but able to collaborate and work well with others.
- Willingness to participate in larger projects when needed.