AP Professionals has partnered with an optics manufacturer located in Rochester, NY seeking a Quality Engineer to join their team. The Quality Engineer will develop inspection and test protocols, measure components to verify compliance to customer requirements, and verify test methods and fixturing. Support the manufacturing process to meet customer specifications and work with production. The right candidate would have previous optics and/or plastics experience, as well as a high degree of integrity!
- Support the manufacturing process to meet customer specifications (for new products and established products).
- Perform mechanical measurements on plastic (molded, machined) optical parts using standard dimensional metrology.
- Program and perform measurements using a Mitutoyo CMM and OGP Flash 302 (multi-sensor CMM). Will provide programming training.
- Perform optical inspection using an interferometer, profilometer and optical bench metrology methods. Will provide training.
- Support new products by developing First Article Samples and in-process inspection protocols.
- Apply flash coating to sample parts using a vacuum coating chamber.
- Work with Molding, Machining, Tooling, Diamond Turning and Coating teams to establish and monitor process parameters to ensure that quality parts are being produced.
- Interact with production departments to better understand issues and identify and resolve the root cause of a problem.
- Provide input on processes and procedures, including suggesting improvements and design of experiments approach to objectively determine the best approach.
- Suggest fixture designs required by custom test/inspection setups.
- Collaborate with customers, production and engineering teams to develop agreed upon inspection and test criteria, methods, and specifications.
- AAS or BS in a scientific/technology field, preferably Mechanical Engineering field
- 3-5 Years of Experience in Component Manufacturing and/or Metrology hands on experience, plastic injection molding preferred as well as Quality Tools (root cause/corrective action, SPC, six sigma, variation control, etc. preferred)
- Previous supervisor experience a plus!
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- CAD knowledge
- Knowledgeable of geometrical and physical dimensions, and associated metrology
- Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Computer controlled/programmed inspection equipment
- Verniers, calipers, micrometers, pin gauges, other mechanical gauges
- Mitutoyo CMM
- OGP Flash 302