The Controller is responsible for leading the accounting team and managing the financial record keeping and reporting process. This includes ensuring appropriate controls are maintained for the proper accounting of business activities. It is expected that the financial reports are prepared accurately and timely and in accordance with the relevant accounting principles. This position requires the following attributes:
- Leadership: To build an accounting team that performs at its highest potential, works collaboratively, and continuously improves processes.
- Integrity: In order to be a trustworthy leader and be regarded by the company as a truthful communicator of information.
- Process Oriented: To offer improvement suggestions that can enable the business to be more efficient and still provide accurate and meaningful financial reports.
- Big-Picture Outlook: To use prior experience and understand the overall business objectives in order to provide the proper financial support to drive the business
- Manage employees in order to ensure completion of work requirements with accuracy and within time requirements, successful achievement of department goals, and also enable the team's ability to continue to develop professionally.
- Interact with leaders throughout the organization to provide accounting / finance information as needed to meet business objectives.
- Oversee the monthly close process including production of financial statements, account reconciliations, preparation and review of analyses and metrics, review of debt levels and covenants, and communication of results with executive leadership.
- Plan and manage the annual financial statement audit with outside CPA firm.
- Manage the ongoing review and development of accounting policies and procedures to ensure GAAP compliance and a sound control environment.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance at a minimum is required.
- CPA or CMA is a requirement for this position.
- Ten years of progressive responsibility in the accounting / finance department of a mid-large business.
- Previous experience directly managing a team
- ERP experience- large systems
- Expert proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to use business information to develop departmental activities
- Strong leadership presence
- Critical thinking
- Strategic mindset
- Strong organizational skills and analytical abilities
- Ability to resolve and mitigate conflict
- Ability to problem solve and make effective decisions
- Demonstrate technical, business and financial acumen