The Assistant Controller is responsible for the daily accounting / finance activities and proper monthly closing and financial reporting. In addition, this position would lead technical research projects, external audit support functions, and process improvement initiatives. The Assistant Controller supervises a team consisting of treasury , a/p, a/r, and general accounting - both local and at another office out of state.
- Lead the preparation of timely financial statements. Assist with the preparation of other reports, budgets and forecasts. Conduct a thorough analysis to validate the accuracy of statements and reports prior to distribution.
- Understand and challenge current policies and practices and internal controls to elevate team and total Company to higher standard of performance.
- Promote and enforce the integrity of technical accounting work and internal controls to ensure compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and alignment with COSO standards.
- Engage in ongoing major system implementations including General Ledger, ERP, and financial governance solution.
- Liaison with internal and external auditors and lead in the remediation of any noted control deficiencies and/or management letter points.
- Participate in treasury and cash management including cash flow forecasting and banking covenant and other financial institution reporting requirements.
- Technical research, additional analysis and special reporting, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. MBA preferred.
- CPA required
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in accounting role with progressive responsibilities
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience
- Must have a combination of public accounting and corporate accounting experience
- Previous month-end close experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Prior experience with ERP system design and implementation.
- Knowledge and experience with Canadian reporting requirements, Security Exchange Commission (SEC), US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Strong knowledge of business and a good business sense.
- Established management skills, including the ability to mentor, coach and motivate a high-performance workforce.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of honesty and integrity and the ability to gain the trust and confidence of senior management. Solid team player with exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Well organized and excellent time management skills. Ability to multitask and handle multiple deadlines and changing priorities.
- Strong computer and skills, especially with Microsoft Excel.