Under the general guidance of the assigned management and in accordance with established systems, and applicable accounting principles, prepares and maintains a complete set of records to show financial transactions of the corporation. The incumbent will perform the accounting functions and activities in accordance with the specific requirements of the accounting area to which assigned, prepare and analyze various tax filings, and/or prepare internal and external financial reports.
- Prepares financial statements and regulatory filings using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other applicable regulation.
- Analyzes and prepare financial schedules, including worksheets, to support journal entries in a manner consistent with ensuring internal and external audit compliance i.e. appropriate documentation and back up.
- Maintains and enhances the controls environment, consistent with Sarbanes Oxley, by applying the internal corporate policies / procedures and external regulations.
- Provides periodic analyses and interpretation of financial statements at both an account level and at the global company level, including the development of processes to accumulate and analyze data spread over multiple systems / locations.
- Interacts with other areas (IT, Actuary, Treasury, A/p, Payroll, etc) in the preparation of monthly internal financial reports, quarterly and annual regulatory agency reports
- Backs-up and offers guidance to other accountants in the department
- Keeps abreast of developments to the function by attendance at seminars/workshops, and professional society meetings; perusal of publications and, as necessary, independent study
- Provides support to projects/initiatives either within Finance or the wider company
- Establishes and maintains constructive relationships when dealing with outside professionals, institutions, and agencies
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the mission and values, adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct, and Leading to the Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
- Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Performs other functions as assigned by management.
- Bachelors in Accounting
- 2-5+ years’ experience, may require CPA certification / MBA for eligibility depending on assigned area
- Strong understanding of financial statements and GAAP. An understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles would be beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Strong attention to detail required
- Strong team working skills
- Ability to communicate and interact with all levels of the organization
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and Access)
- Lawson would be a plus
- Needs to have initiative and seek process improvements
- Must be able to work independently