POSITION SUMMARY: The Tax Specialist handles all aspects of payroll tax service for our clients, from making payments and filing returns to troubleshooting tax problems and working directly with federal, state and local agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Make withholding tax and unemployment insurance payments, and reconcile payment accounts
- Assist with preparation and filing of quarterly/annual tax returns and W-2s
- Coordinate distribution of quarterly tax reports to clients
- Communicate with federal, state, and local tax agencies to resolve tax notices
- Prepare amended tax returns
- Assist clients in registering for withholding and unemployment accounts in multiple states, and set up state profiles in payroll software
- Research tax policies to ensure compliance, and stay up-to-date on tax law changes
- Provide high-level customer service in answering questions and solving problems for clients
- Collaborate with customer service, implementation, human resources, and sales teams to provide a seamless client experience
- Take initiative in developing and improving procedures in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company
- Follow procedures for maintaining security of sensitive and confidential information
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business, Accounting, or Finance.
- 5+ years of experience in payroll systems required.
- Payroll tax experience strongly preferred, specifically making payments, filing returns, and responding to notices.
- Microsoft Office skills- Intermediate Word, Excel
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The majority of the work time is conducted in an office setting. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
Demonstrates the ability to:
- Demonstrated history of strong problem-solving ability, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and self-direct, while also effectively working within a team.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple stakeholders to resolve problems
- Maintain a high engagement level
- Regularly required to speak clearly and hear the spoken word as well
- Move between all parts of the office to speak with employees and clients