AP is searching for a Tax Director to join a privately held company headquartered in Rochester, NY, to oversee tax matters for all of the companies that it manages. The organization is in 37 states, with a combined market value of over $2.5 billion. The company is positioned for significant continued growth.
The Tax Director is a newly created position to support the Company’s continued growth, and will have the opportunity to lead all aspects of the tax department. The ideal candidate will thrive on the opportunity to “take ownership” of creating, growing, and managing this department.
This role will require the proven ability to plan, direct, and execute tax projects focused on real estate, private equity, and pass-through entity taxation. The individual will function as a business leader through continuous networking activities at both professional and community based events. Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to continuously anticipate and resolve business issues and proactively work with all facets of the business, including accounting, acquisitions, investor relations, and legal. Successful candidates will develop and promote new ideas and business solutions that result in successful implementation of new investment opportunities, as well as provide a high quality of service to the funds and existing investors. The individual will be tasked with developing their direct reports, including an incumbent Tax Manager and any additional staff hired to support the growth of the platform, and will serve as a role model, providing coaching, mentoring, and training to staff members. The individual will ensure professional development through ongoing education and obtaining additional certifications as appropriate.
The Tax Director will be an integral member of the new product development team, providing insight and guidance into tax structures and related research. Real estate experience, with an in-depth understanding of tax and legal structuring are a big plus. Consideration will be given to the totality of a candidate’s tax experience. Successful candidates will have a willingness and desire to proactively research and become subject-matter experts surrounding industry-relevant tax structures.
Specific duties to include:
- Oversees the timely and accurate filing of all federal, state, and local income and franchise tax returns for all of the companies managed, including multiple limited liability companies and partnerships.
- Liaise with the external accountants in the preparation of the various returns, as well as with the taxing authorities in the event of a notice or audit.
- Oversee quarterly and annual compliance testing, including the department’s evaluation of book to tax differences, particularly with respect to fixed assets.
- The ideal candidate will have ten or more years of public accounting tax experience, be at the senior manager level, or above, or have equivalent industry experience.
- Partnership taxation experience and tax structuring experience highly valued.
- Candidate must have strong communication skills and be able to present at executive- and board-level meetings.
- The individual will be able to work independently and be exceedingly well organized, flexible, and able to produce high quality work under strict deadlines.
Relocation for the right candidate is available.