Manager, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting
AP is searching for a dynamic CPA, ready to join a privately held company headquartered in Rochester, NY. This is an opportunity to join a team with an impeccable reputation which can provide a career path for continued learning, professional contribution and development. Considered a top ten company in Rochester, this is an ideal position for a CPA professional looking to transition out of public accounting into industry.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities – Financial Reporting
- Participate in the drafting and filings of Form 10-K in early 2018.
- On an ongoing basis, manage the preparation and filing of Forms 10-Q, 10-K, and 8-K with the SEC, including XBRL and HTML
- Establish and implement the mechanisms and controls necessary for preparing and filing all SEC filings and reports on a timely basis
- Participate in the completion of the proxy statement, SEC comment letters and other shareholder related reports as needed
- Draft earnings releases together with the investor relations department.
- Ensure SEC documents are in compliance with US GAAP disclosure requirements and SEC regulations
- Create closing/filing calendars and checklists, review underlying supporting documentation for the SEC reports, and coordinate with external auditors
- Keep up to date on all SEC requirements; Monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with these evolving requirements and communicate their impact on the company to management
- Work closely with Assistant Controller and Controller relative to GAAP disclosures as they pertain to SEC reporting regulations
- Active member of the disclosure committee, including presenting the financial statement impact of financial reporting developments and technical accounting matters.
- Participate in the preparation of additional internal financial reports
- Provide guidance and supervision to financial reporting senior accountant
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities – Technical Accounting
- Provide accounting support and guidance for complex business transactions such as acquisitions, dispositions, asset impairments, derivatives and hedging, and financing activities, amongst others.
- Research and provide technical accounting guidance in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Proactively analyze emerging accounting pronouncements for implications and other sponsored funds, including the new revenue recognition and lease accounting standards, amongst others. Memorialize findings and present to senior management.
- Assist in the implementation of new accounting standards applicable to the organization, including formulating and owning necessary controls for successful implementation and ongoing monitoring, as well as interpreting and relaying the impact to non-accounting personnel.
- Jointly responsible for updating and creating accounting policies and procedures required by either technical accounting, business or internal control changes
- Participate in and lead projects from an accounting perspective that arise as a result of business requirements, such as implementation of new software or process improvements
- Coordination of internal and external audits
- Process owner for Net Asset Value and Net Asset Value per share computations, including utilizing understanding of valuation techniques and coordination with third-party valuation specialists
- Participate in asset review committee meetings to provide insight and technical accounting guidance and implications for developments
- Participate in credit underwriting discussions for acquisition targets to provide accounting and financial reporting insights, and for interpreting target company financials
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong organizational and planning skills; Strong attention to detail; Passionate about quality and accuracy
- Deep understanding of SEC reporting requirements, US GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley, and COSO
- Prior experience in a public reporting environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information succinctly
- Effective decision-making skills and an ability to perform under deadline pressure
- Solid work ethic; Professional and proactive approach to work; Self-motivated, positive, confident and committed
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited university required; Masters preferred
- Certified Public Accountant
- 5+ years’ public accounting experience, SEC reporting experience, producing/reviewing GAAP based financial reports and analysis
- Strong knowledge of MS Office
- Experience with SEC reporting software a plus