The Payroll Accountant will be responsible for all aspects of payroll processing for the companies assigned and be a part of a diverse function which produces bi-weekly paychecks and annual W-2’s. The ideal candidate will gain knowledge of all aspects of the payroll and benefits administration process in order to create and maintain documentation of procedures and to recommend enhancements that will increase accuracy and improve efficiency. A complete understanding of standard payroll administration practices and procedures is necessary.
Salary is 36-38K.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Calculate timesheets and verify all necessary approvals
- Accurately enter, audit and balance all payroll information related to assigned companies
- Run payroll process to include checks, direct deposits and reports
- Correctly administer manuals, voids, and other employee adjustments
- Encumber accounts and maintain accurate balances on a bi-weekly basis
- Work with accounting department to reconcile accounts
- Prepare and have approvals for Check Requests
- Perform month end, quarter end and year end tasks as required
- Work closely with Benefit Specialist to ensure employee deductions are accurate and timely
- Act as a backup to other Payroll Accountant position(s) and other duties as determined by Manager
- Scan employee files on a bi-weekly basis
- Identify opportunities for automation and/or workflow efficiency
- Build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external partners
- Remain up to date on changes to laws, regulations, and tax tables that impact payroll and benefits administration
- Build working relationships with account holders and payroll and benefit peers across the University
- Other payroll and benefits duties as assigned
- Minimum three to five years experience in a payroll position and Associates degree required - Bachelor’s degree and/or professional certification is highly desirable.
- Prior experience with payments to foreign individuals under tax treaties is desirable.
- Proficient use of computer, working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, standard payroll taxation, visa processing, basic accounting principles and in-house payroll systems.